How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12185
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

I was an EU citizen with a permanent residence when I

This answer was rated:

I was an EU citizen with a permanent residence when I married an Albanian man who deceived me and then left me soon after he received his visa. We have been married for 2 years now. I informed Home Office that our relationship is no longer subsisting since September 2017 and I strongly believe that he didn't marry me for the real purpose of marriage but for his visa as one day he told me that he is leaving because his family is not happy now about the fact that I'm older (they knew my age from the beginning). I filed for divorce in December 2017 and I'm currently waiting for a decree nisi to be granted. Why since then no action has been taken against him and he is still allowed in this country? To explain he was granted a marriage visa for 5 years. To add, I'm a British citizen now. He also offered me money for not going ahead with the divorce which I told Home Office in my second letter. Please advise
Hi,Thank you for your question.I am a Solicitor and practice in the area of immigration law.Would you still like assistance with this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I have the written answer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As requested earlier


Have you filed for divorce?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have. In December 2017. Waititng for a decree nisi now
Thank you for the additional information.If you obtain your decree absolute and the marriage did not last for 3 years, then he would not have retained his rights of residence.This would mean that when he next applies to regularise his stay, he will not meet the requirements of the rules as the marriage had not subsisted for two years.The Home Office is unlikely to take any action against him now and will probably wait until he has to renew or apply for Permanent Residency.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks
chatham-chamber and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you