How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 24
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

To whom this may concern, I am trying to find out some

Customer Question

To whom this may concern,I am trying to find out some information for a friend.Currently he is illegal in the UK, he is 24 years old. He came into the UK around 6 years ago due to on-going problems back home in Albania where he fears that going back would be a danger to his life. Yesterday he was arrested by the police in his local area on suspicion of selling drugs. However, I am unaware as to the full story but they have sent him to a detention camp in order to return him back to Albania. Is there anything that he can do in order to claim asylum here before they return him to Albania due to the amount of years he has been here, his fear of life back home in Albania and the situation?I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

An asylum claim has to be made now upon entry to the UK. It was one of the amendments of the Blair Government.

I'm afraid this was exactly what the whole amendment was designed to address.

If he isn't being prosecuted for PWITs though and instead is being deported then overall that is a good deal.

i'm very sorry but that is the law now.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Dear Jo,Thank you for your speedy response, so there is no way he can claim for Asylum now? But what would he have to do in regard to fearing of returning back to his home country?
Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

I am sorry but he should have claimed asylum when he arrived.

The amendments were to address this situation.

At this stage, he cannot.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, is there anything that he can do considering the amount of time he has been here or?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

Not if he is here illegally.

I don't know whether there is a human rights claim but then he would have to have family here and probably it would fail.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay Jo, thank you for your responses appreciated. Is it possible to ask something else not in relation to this? Or would I have to redo the whole question etc and perhaps be connected to someone else?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

I will help if I can.

im happy to continue but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, thank you.Of course I will give you a rating.So, I am engaged with my partner we’ve been together 6 months and we’re both Albanian but he is here illegally and I am a British Citizen. He’s been here for 5 years nearly, and entered illegally. He also has other family here. We’re currently looking to move in together. We were wondering what are the steps we could take in order for him to not return to Albania. It is a legitimate relationship and has been done traditionally through parents due to our culture etc.Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 day ago.
I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hello, yes that’s fine I am happy to wait.Thank you for contacting me to let me know.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 day ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,