SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have a question regarding a Tier 4 Visa application

Hi, I have a question regarding a Tier 4 Visa application Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship? Customer: Yes paperwork, living in Morroco and same citizenship Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the tier 4 visa? Customer: No Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: No

A friend of mine, Morrocon citizen, has applied for a Tier 4 student visa in the UK. To the question whether he has any money on his own in the UK (apart from the money by his sponsor, his parents) he has answered "no" despite having a UK bank account with around GBP 1,000 in it. My questions are:
1. Does the Home Office routinely check with UK banks whether Tier 4 visa applicants have bank accounts with money in them?
2. Do you know or have you heard of any visa cases that were rejected because the question mentioned above was not answered truthfully and what was the outcome of these cases?
3. How likely is it that the applicant will get a 10 year ban because the question was not answered truthfully? Ultimately it is no negative that the applicant has money in a UK bank account. Do you know the reason / background to this question?

Oleksandra-Moderator

Hi thank you for your enquiry. There are many reasons for the questions that the home office ask and as to what checks they conduct noone can say categorically that they will not make certain enquiries. However one of the main reasons for wanting to know all sources of finances is to ensure that where one source is not meeting the financial requirements combining all sources may give the applicant a better chance. In any event unless the money the parents is holding is going to be easily accessible to your friend once they are in the UK the Home Office regularly questions how the money is to be accessed from the UK and often rejects applications where they are not convinced that the finances are readily available to the applicant. Disclosing the bank account therefore would have addressed this issue for your friend. Did he answer no in error or was it deliberate?

The Home Office will refuse an application where they believe that there has been deception. If this is not your friend's first application and they have made a previous application where the bank details were disclosed it may not need any significant investigation for the Home Office to notice the anomaly. If they deem the non-disclosure as one that was deliberately done with the intention to deceive them then yes the application may be refused on this ground.

So to answer your last question, if the Home Office establish from the records that they already hold on your friend ( your friend will know if he has declared these bank details before) or as a result of their investigations with regard to the current application that your friend has indeed ticked no when the answer should have been yes and thereby deceiving them they are obliged to refuse the application and it is very likely that he would get a ban.

I hope this answers your questions. You friend has submitted the application now and can only wait for the decision. withdrawing the application will not return the fees that he has paid and depending on when it was submitted it may have just progressed that it may not be worth it to consider withdrawing. If it was not deliberate and the account was never known to the Home Office I do not think they need to worry too much at this stage. I would be grateful for your 5 star rating to enable me to get credit for the response today. Feel free to ask your follow on questions maybe once you have given feedback to your friend if it should become necessary. I will still be able to access this thread post your rating. All the best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK