How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1538
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I am looking at applying for the UK permanent residence. The

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, I am looking at applying for the UK permanent residence. The application is online and on the face of it, is easy. I have been living in the UK for more than 22 years and I just do not know whether I need to give full details of the times I have been away from the UK. do I count holidays abroad for 2 weeks. the question mentions the cumulation of holidays. the same for employment. Do I really need to list all my employers for the past 22 years... I cant remember all of them...I have kept all my P60...but this seems unreasonable...
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UK. I am applying online on the I am French
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no...I ave not talked to a lawyer. I came across your website. for my british citizenship I will take a lawyer but for the first step, it should be simple enough..the complication is that I have lived in the UK for 22 do I fully answer all questions about time away from the UK and employment...
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what does the service entail. How much would the service be?

Hi, thank you for your enquiry. Are you an EEA national? or are you subject to Immigration Rules? Is the application based on 10 years continuous residency if you are subject to immigration rules? Its important to understand the background giving you the right to apply for ILR or permanent residence in order to guide you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am French so EEA national
I moved to the UK in November 1995, worked for 9 months and left during 1996/97 {backpacking in Asia] and came back in 1997.
Since then I have been working full time in the UK.
I studied part time whilst working full time for an Msc [this should not be material to the application...]The online application is for permanent resident [after 5 years] for myself and my son so we can apply for full British Citizenship.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Again my son's situation:
Born in the UK in 2004
Recognised by his British dad on the birth certificate
However because we were not married at that time, my son was not allowed to be British.
So by applying for the permanent residence and applying for a full UK passport, I am hoping I will then be able to apply for my son's passport via the normal route...rather than a full application via immigration...

Thank you for the further information. So for your son you just need to register him as a British citizen. This is quite a straight forward process. Below is a link to the form and one to the guidance:

For you you only need to provide information for a 5 year period that you select to be your qualifying period and not all 22 years. Now because where you have been in the UK for longer than 5 years you can also apply for citizenship at the same time instead of getting permanent residence permit and then waiting 12 months before applying for citizenship I would say if you have been working for the last 6 years and you did not go out of the Uk for longer than 6 months in each period of 12 months then use the last 6 years as the qualifying period. That will mean all your information is recent and fresh in memory in terms of dates out and in of the UK and you will be able to use your passport to evidence the stamps. I hope my guidance for you and your son has been useful. I would be grateful for your 5 star rating to enable me to get credit for attending to your enquiry today. Feel free to send me your follow on question if you have one, I am still able to respond post your rating. All the best.

SolicitorRM and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks for the above.
A few more questions:
What is the difference between 4F and 4G
I really do not understand the difference and more importantly can I do the application for my child under 4G as there is no fee to pay...
section 4F born before 1 July 2006 and would have an entitlement to
registration had the child’s mother been married to their natural father
• section 4G born between 1 January 1983 and 30 June 2006 and would have
become a British citizen automatically had the child’s mother been married to
their natural father
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lastly one more question...
Are you suggesting that I do not need to apply for permanent residence but rather can apply directly to British citizenship?
I was under the impression that this was not possible...
The website is so badly designed that it feels it has been designed to confuse and not to provide pertinent information...
Option 1 is the indefinite leave to remain and it then take me to the eligibility...which then says EU citizens do not need to apply to settle in the UK. I read and then end up where I started in terms of the online application...which is called permanent residence...Option 2: EEA resident and had permanent residence over the past 12 months..I guess this is why you mentioned the 5 years plus 1...Is there an easy response?
Where do I start, which form do I fill in? and the quickest manner in which I shall apply!
The forms and information to be provided seems to be easy enough but the complexity of obtaining the correct information is certainly "driving me insane"!Many thanks again,

For your son because he was born to a British father before 2006 he needs to register he doesn’t need to apply for permanent residence card. You on the other hand need to apply for permanent residence card but whereas normally you will need to wait a further 12 months with the card in order to apply for citizenship you can apply at the same time as applying for permanent residence card since you have been in the UK for a lot longer than 6 years.

Are you in a position to accept a call? It’s a premium service however i find it often gets to address all your concerns and saves you from having to type back and forth.

Was your son born in the UK?

I think you will benefit from a phone call because you are understandably being confused by the online searches you have done. The form I have attached for you son above is what you need. For you EEA Nationals gain permanent residency automatically you have understood that correctly. However not every EEA national wants to become British so you could really end on being a permanent resident. However where you want to go a step further and become a citizen you are required to get the permanent residence card and to hold this for 12 months before you can actually apply for citizenship. Now if you have been in the UK for longer than 6 years you do not need to wait the 12 months before applying for citizenship.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good morning ,Yes my son was born in the UK in 2004. recognised by his British dad on the birth certificate.
Hopefully last question. Do I apply for my son under 4G or 4F?
I think it will be 4G as my son was born before 1 July 2006 and have we been married, my son I believe would have become British automatically. If I can avoid paying the hefty fee for the application, I would feel much better.Many thanks for all the links, I believe I shall now be able to proceed and get this out of the way.Kind regards,

Morning, I am not quite sure what you are working from, are you working from the immigration rules? I have considered your information and given that your son was born to a British father in 2004 and you were not married the the Form UKF is the one that you need to complete given your son's circumstances and the guidance above attached is whats applicable