How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4183
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I have a girlfriend who is living over in Australia and we

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** and I have a girlfriend who is living over in Australia and we intend to get married what do I need to do
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Haven't taken any yet as she has just e mail me to let me know that her father has died I live n Scotland u/k
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No as I have spoken with my girlfriend and told her that if she dosent want to move from her country I am willing to move oner there her father has a ranch
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a pensioner and I get a britia=sh army peansaion also get a state peansion
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your enquiry and your patience. To get married in the UK she will need to come on either the marriage visitor visa or on the fiance visa. You will need to show in both as a minimum that you have been together in a relationship for at least 2 years and that your relationship is genuine. The marriage visitor visa will give her 6 months to come to the UK to give notice at a designated registrar's office and to get married. She would need to return home before end of 6 months and because she will be your wife by then she will be able to return to join you on a spousal visa. Marriage visitor visa needs you in addition to show that she will be accommodated and maintained in the UK without causing overcrowding and without recourse to public funds. If you are sponsoring the visit fully, your proof of income for the 6 months leading up to the application will need to be attached to the application - bank statements and your pension payments. You will need to provide copy of your title deeds or tenancy agreement. Although you may be funding the whole visit the home office will wants to know that she has a reason to go back home and that she also has her own source of income back home so her bank statements, proof of accommodation, letter from employer and wage slips if in employment will be required.

If on the other hand she comes as a fiance she will initially get 6 months to get married however this time she does not need to go back home at 6 months she can apply for the spousal visa from inside the UK. What stops people on this fiance visa is the minimum financial requirement so you will need to show that you have gross income of at least £18,600.00 per annum, You are also able to use savings to contribute to this minimum income.

The applications are done on line therefore when ready to make the application you will be able to google apply for fiance visa or apply for marriage visitor visa and you will be taken to the relevant government website.

I hope this is useful to you. I would be grateful for your 5 star rating of my guidance today. Wishing you and your future wife all the best.