Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

My good friend is Pakistani, living in Pakistan with his

My good friend is Pakistani, living in Pakistan with his wife who has a French passport. They now want to live permanently in the UK. He studied in the UK for 5 years, so he's familiar with it.
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: No
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: NO
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How quickly can they move to the UK? As his wife is French, then I assume she can move to the UK immediately without any need for a visa, and also bring her husband and child with her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can text me or phone me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming that as my friend's wife is a French citizen with a French passport, she can simply move to the UK immediately, and bring her husband and child (Pakistani passports) too. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are copies of their passports
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
HiThanks for your question.How long have they been married for please?
Kind regardsTom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hang on Tom
I think about 5 years, but I'm checking with him on Skype
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that I had only guaranteed £5 at this stage

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Obviously with Brexit looming the situation is a little different than it would normally be.

However, your friend would have to apply for an EEA Family Permit for both him and the child (if the child is not a French Citizen) in order to travel to the United Kingdom with the wife with a view to staying here permanently.

The link for a family permit is here:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

Then if they arrive in the United Kingdom before March 2019 then he will have to apply for an EEA Residence Card in order to confirm his right to be in the United Kingdom and working:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card

If they arrive in the United Kingdom just a short while before March 2019 or they arrive before March 2019 and stay here past March 2019 then he will have to apply for pre-settled status which is the application which people need to make following Brexit. This would allow him to stay in the United Kingdom for 5 years with his wife and ultimately then apply for a permanent right to stay in the United Kingdom.

The French Citizen wife can travel here at the moment on her French passport without restriction. However, once she is in the United Kingdom she will also need to make an application after March 2019 to the Home Office for pre-settled status which again is the application type needed for EEA citizens staying in the United Kingdom past Brexit. The link to applications for pre-settled status is contained here:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,
Many thanks for your perfect answer!
I will come back to you in the future for all my needs.
I wish you were a planning solicitor as I've just had an application refused!
Best regards,

Richard,

No problem. Thanks, ***** *****

Tom