How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1842
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I have an immigration question.... Assistant: What steps

Customer Question

I have an immigration question....
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Is this the right place to ask?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I am on family route as a spouse. I am already in the UK
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My marriage is kind of in crisis. Instead of just focusing on that, I also have to worry about my immigration status. Ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More information on my immigration status: I was granted leave for two and a half years as a spouse back in early 2015. My extension (another two and a half years) was approved in July this year.A lot of things happened since summer, which I am not going to detail here. As a result, we are considering separating, give some peaceful space for each other, and hopefully come back at it and try to work on our marriage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Personally, I would hope that we could live separately for some time for our well-being. But I don't know what that means for my immigration status.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant 2016 (not 2015), sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe this is useful too: We don't have children together. We have never married before our marriage. We also don't have children outside of our marriage.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for enquiry, it has been forwarded to me to see if I may of any assistance.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, if you were to divorce or enter into a formal separation agreement this would affect your right to remain in the UK on the spousal visa. You may also be affected if your partner were to contact the home office to say that you were no longer in a relationship even if you were not "formally divorced".

Although things may be difficult at this time, I would strongly advise against getting a divorce or formally separating until after you have obtained your indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Based on the information provided, you may be able to apply for this visa after having been on the spousal visa for five years.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards