IA Solicitors
IA Solicitors, Solicitor
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
105500460

I am 57 and was born in the UK and lived there from age of

Customer Question

I am 57 and was born in the UK and lived there from age of birth to 7. Emigrated to South Africa with my parents. Returned when I was 16 and worked for two years before returning to South Africa at 18. I currently have a South African Passport. I have not had a British Passport since I was 18. I want to repatriate to the UK and settle. I need to know what type of Visa I require and can I return on my South African Passport or do I need to apply for a UK passport? Am I guaranteed the right to return
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I contacted the British Consulate in Cape Town who said all matters are now dealt with in the UK I have not filled in any paperwork as I do not know where to start. Is it a right to above certificate I need with a British Passport or a right to return visa and can I return on my South African passport,. The information available is not clear so I need to know where to start
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  IA Solicitors replied 1 year ago.

Did you make your British passport before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a british passport, as a british citizen however, this ran out and I did not renew it, instead I got a south african passport. My nationality on my south african passport is British

Do you have your expired British passport?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have lost that as it expired 35 years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The UK passport office tell me I simply apply for a British Passport as a new passport holder as they do not hold records of expired passports for that period
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I expect a response today on this question?

do you have Birth certificate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a birth certificate. Not the original one but an official copy from the Registers in Glasgow

you have your British passport details?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, as stated above I do not have my old passport and on calling the passport office they said they do not keep records of passports that far back. I need to apply for one as a new passport holder

hi,

i can help you for your concerns.

you do not have much proofs.

First, you should check your immigration history from UK home Office.

your all details should be with the Home office.

i have attached the link to get this information from UK Home Office.

http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/requests-for-personal-data-uk-visas-and-immigration/request-personal-information-held-by-uk-visas-and-immigration

with this information, you can take best step for you.

i hope it will help you

please give positive rating for my efforts to answer your question.

I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it wasnof no use to me. There was a simple answer to this which I got from a solicitor in Scotland. Let me share the answer with you. She just needs to apply for a British passport. No visas required. It’s as simple as that. I wonder why you weren’t able to offer that opinion

thanks for your feedback