How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ms-Louise Your Own Question
Ms-Louise, Immigration Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 202
Experience:  Partner at Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ms-Louise is online now

I got in touch with the local register office to give notice

This answer was rated:

Hi,I got in touch with the local register office to give notice of intention to get married. They said we need to provide valid passports, but my partner has a currently expired passport.As she is a refugee in the UK, her immigration solicitor had suggested she let her Pakistani passport expire and not to renew it, but rather wait until she becomes eligible to apply for British citizenship. Currently she has an indefinite leave to remain. When we tried to explain this to the office, they insisted that a valid passport is required as proof of nationality, and that we renew her passport before giving notice of intention to get married.As she does not want to renew her passport, is there any other way we should be able to approach thisIf it helps, my student visa is valid until 5 Nov 2019.Thanks.
Good evening
I don't agree with the registrars position. Her BRP ought to be sufficient. However, I completely understand that you want a practical solution.
As a refugee I agree she shouldn't apply for her national passport.
She can apply for a Home Office travel document. There is a fee. However this would hopefully satisfy the registrar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response.We will get in touch with the registrar again and explain our situation fully (re refugee status etc) to see what agreement we can come to. Is there anything we can refer to, to show the registrar why we have not applied for her passport renewal?In addition, I am Saudi Arabian so would that change anything in our giving notice, other than what is mentioned online (passport sized photos and proof of immigration status - my BRP)?If it helps, I am currently in the UK on a tier 4 student visa valid until 5 Nov and have a job offer following that. The employers are also willing to sponsor me for visa conversion as well.
Good luck.
There is nothing specific. However by definition a refugee cannot return to their country of origin. The Home Office have travel documents for refugees because they cannot be expected to approach the home government for documents. As a refugee they have demonstrated they are either as risk from those authorities, or they are unable to keep them save.
Your immigration status shouldn't matter either.
You no longer need Home Office approval to marry.
The registrar just needs to be satisfied your relationship is genuine (same as any other couple)
Ms-Louise and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you