How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Waleed Hassan Your Own Question
Waleed Hassan
Waleed Hassan, Immigration Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 165
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge in Immigration, Nationality and Asylum law and have had conducted in lead cases.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Waleed Hassan is online now

I am engaged to a Polish national who works in Denmark and

This answer was rated:

I am engaged to a Polish national who works in Denmark and has a 14 year old daughter. We aim to marry next year and I need to know what her and her daughter's residency status would be.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am British, and live in Rochdale, Greater Manchester
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet, do I need to?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work full time, I guess that would be relevant?

My name is***** and I am a specialist immigration solicitor at

Just Answer is for getting information, and it is not a substitute for legal advice.

Thank you for your question.

As your partner is Polish, I would suggest that your partner and his daughter come to the UK before 31st October 2019 and apply for a 5-year residency called pre-settled status. Once your partner and his daughter have pre-settled status then they can stay in the UK with you even after Brexit. Once they get the pre-settled status they can come and go as they please as long as they comply with conditions of the pre-settled status.

They can still come after Brexit, but rules may get tougher if you are looking to bring them to the UK next year once you are married.

For more information on the EU Settlement Scheme please read

If you require help with the application once your partner and his daughter are in the UK, you can contact a specialist immigration solicitor to help you.

Thank you for question. Please kindly rate my answer so that I can get credit for my time.

Kind regards

Waleed Hassan

Waleed Hassan and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you