UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a client who has been offered a job in the UK and

I have a client who has been offered a job in the UK and will be coming on a Tier 2 General workers visa valid for 3 years and has a valid COS sponsor number and after the 3 years will extend it for another 3 years.The problem is that his wife and children can only join him after 1 year which is not a problem as they will be dependents on his COS number.My question now is when he extends his COS after 3 years it will apply for him and his wife and children even though they have only been in the UK for 2 years but what happens after 5 years when he applies for ILR. He qualifies as he has been in the UK for 5 years but his wife and children will only be there for 4 years. What is the impact for her and the children or must they wait until they have been in the UK for 5 years before they can apply for ILR?I await your urgent replyMany thanks

They may only apply for ILR once they have been in the UK for 5 years as dependents. Your client may apply for ILR after completing 5 years in the UK, they would apply for ILR one year later. There is no need for them to switch when your client gets ILR, they simply continue under the dependent route and then apply for ILR after 5 years.

All the best