How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 6924
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have a client who has been offered a job in the UK and

This answer was rated:

I have a client who has been offered a job in the UK and will be coming on a Tier 2 General workers visa valid for 3 years and has a valid COS sponsor number and after the 3 years will extend it for another 3 years.The problem is that his wife and children can only join him after 1 year which is not a problem as they will be dependents on his COS number.My question now is when he extends his COS after 3 years it will apply for him and his wife and children even though they have only been in the UK for 2 years but what happens after 5 years when he applies for ILR. He qualifies as he has been in the UK for 5 years but his wife and children will only be there for 4 years. What is the impact for her and the children or must they wait until they have been in the UK for 5 years before they can apply for ILR?I await your urgent replyMany thanks

They may only apply for ILR once they have been in the UK for 5 years as dependents. Your client may apply for ILR after completing 5 years in the UK, they would apply for ILR one year later. There is no need for them to switch when your client gets ILR, they simply continue under the dependent route and then apply for ILR after 5 years.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you