Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Have indefinite leave to remain, I have passed my life in

Customer Question

I am South African and have indefinite leave to remain, I have passed my life in Britain test and now need to do my English test before i can apply for my British citizenship. I need to apply for a biometric visa as proof of my identity, the problem is my passport has expired and when i try and apply on line as soon as i get to the section with my passport details it won't accept a date in the future for the expiry date. Is there a way i can apply for a biometric visa without renewing my old South African passport as it seems like a waste of time and money seeing i am applying for my British citizenship? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have been in England Since 2004, I am South African and my wife is English, i have indefinite leave to remain that is stuck into my passport. When i have tried to apply for the English test they won't accept my British driving licence as proof of identity as the life in Britain test did but want an in date passport or a biometric visa. I have tried to apply for the biometric visa on line but it won't accept the expiry date of my passport as it wants a date in the future.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: No I have contacted citizen advice and they put me onto the website to apply and when i contacted them with this issue they promised to get back with and answer and I've never heard from them again and they don't reply to the messages I've sent them. I am a little desperate as the company i work for has been threatening to suspend me if i don't get it sorted in the near future
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not realy i just need to know how i can go about applying for the biometric visa with an expired passport as the website won't accept it.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  IA Solicitors replied 1 year ago.

i am reviewing your question.

anything else you want to add?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not anything i can think of, i just basically want to know how i can apply for my biometric visa by getting around the expiry date which the website won't accept and wants a date in the future. I can't get pass that point of the application. This is all just so i can provide proof of my identity to do my english oral exam for my British citizen application.

you have indefinite leave to remain on your passport or you have BRP card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have indefinite leave to remain which is stuck into my passport

which ID you used for Life in UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used my British driving licence but the company doing the English test will not accept the driving licence and only accept a biometric visa or an in date Passport.

which company have you used to Pass English test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't done the English test as yet that's what I need the biometric visa for as an Identification means. I contacted "British life skills" as i was told i have to go through them to get the B1 english qualification.

you told me that company is not accepting your driving licence as ID for English test. i have asked to you which company has refused to accept your driving licence as ID?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company I used is called -- British life skills. web site address is: www.Britishlifeskills.com

Home Office has cleared instructions that Driving licence is not acceptable as ID for English Language test.

i am afraid, you will have to apply your new south African passport then you can proceed further.

i hope it will help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what you are saying is that I can't apply for a biometric visa if my passport has expired?

you can use this link to apply your BRP in case of passport expire.

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/replace-visa-brp

if this link does not forward you due to not availability of future expiry date of your passport then you can not apply online.

Hopefully, this system will forward you for your BRP.

i hope it will help you

I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you