How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1166
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Can I get British citizenship as student or do I need to

This answer was rated:

can I get British citizenship as student or do I need to work in my five years and what are other requiremetns ?basically I'm Italian and currently is my last year of uni. I got my national insurance number in 2016 and opened a bank account on that same year. so if I take a master next year, the total amount of my staying in the UK would be 5 and I should be eligible for apply the British citizenship. my question is can I easily applying it or do I need other requirements, for example a certain amount of working hour etc.

Hi, you can only naturalise as a British citizen after you secure your settled status and having held the settled status for 12 months. So your first hurdle is to apply for your settled status under the settled status scheme unless you already had the permanent residence document as EEA national and you have held it for 12 months. I hope this is useful to you and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI, so I don't need to work during this five years?

Not under the settled status scheme. Under the regime that ended at the end of March you needed to have worked or to have held enhanced health insurance as a full time student.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry but I don't really understand what your are saying. in my case and with new law introduced by brexit, being a full time student am I eligible to apply the citizenship or I need to had work in the uk. however I've been running a business in italy (in this case it might help?)

Nobody qualifies for citizenship without having held either the permanent residence document or the settled status confirmation for 12 months. If you do not have either of these then you have to apply for settled status, wait 12 months and then apply for citizenship.I hope that has clarified it for you. If it will help I can speak to you on the JA calls service.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance. Kindly let me know whether you are still in need of help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I want to apply for British citizenship. I'm Italian and I'm on my forth year here in UK as full time student. I know that I must stay in the UK for 5 year to get the permanent residnece, so the question is: in order to get the permanent residence do I need to had work or just enought to be a full time student during this 5 years (however at the same time I'm running a business back in italy ), and what are other requiremnt?
thank you

My colleague was correct in her answer to you. Perhaps it was unclear.

There is currently no requirement for you to have worked in the UK in order to apply for your permanent residency. It is enough for you to have been in the UK as a student for the five years. What you are now required to do eventhough you have not been in the UK for five years is to apply for what is called pre-settled status. All that is required is for you to demonstrate that you have resided in the UK>. When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

  • your identity ( in the form of your passport)
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK ( you may submit utility bills)

At the five year mark you would then apply to change from pre-settled to settled status.

Please see below link with additional information to guide you through the process. You may also apply online by following the link provided.

I hope I have clarified things for you. kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. kindly take the time to positively rate the services provided by me.

best wishes


ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1166
Experience: Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
ReadyLaw and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you