How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask IA Solicitors Your Own Question
IA Solicitors
IA Solicitors, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1831
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
IA Solicitors is online now

I am 32 years old, is it possible for me to apply to join my

This answer was rated:

I am 32 years old, is it possible for me to apply to join my mother and father here in the uk as they have their residence permit.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have not taken any steps yet. I am currently in the UK on a student visa because of my masters degree. and I am a citizen of Nigeria
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?
Customer: I haven't, but still checking all my options.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just recently completed the masters course, and have 3 months left on my student visa.

What are your parents nationalities?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are both Nigerian
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As an international masters graduate, it has been difficult finding a Job due to my visa status. I would love to stay back to have enough time to enable me find a job.

Unfortunately, your parents will not be able to sponsor your application as you are an adult now. Are you married?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, but what if my parents require my care? As both my Dad and Mom have some health related issues which I often assist with their care. No I am not married yet.

I understand this but Home Office will argue that they are not even British Citizens. You can still make application under private life but as a Lawyer I must tell you that chances of grating if seems low at the moment.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Due to the new policy change, is it, or when will it be possible for me to apply for the 2 years visa extension as a UK university graduate to enable me find a job, and can I apply from my home country?

It will start in 2020-2021

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My visa expires on the 13th of January 2020, can I apply before then? If not, can I apply from my country, and when do you advice that apply?

They are not sure as of yet whether it will be applicable from 2020 or 2021. You need to wait for further updates.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. But if my parents, or one of them have their British passport, will it be possible to apply to come stay with them? and what are the chances of it being granted.


i can help you your concerns.

you have explained that your parents require care then if they have British passport then you may apply under private live. you will have to provide evidence that how your parents are dependant on you.

it will be case worker discretion how they see your provided evidence.

i hope it will help you

I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yes I have and it was helpful.
For me to explore this option my parents would have to get their British passport. If my mother applies to get her passport this month how long would it take before she gets it. Another stumbling block would be how to provide evidence to prove it.
Can you advice any other option you feel I can explore to extending my stay?

i am afraid, you do not have another option but you can find a job with such an employer which can issue you certificate of sponsorship. you can apply tier 2 visa from your home country with this tier 2 visa.

if you parents are eligible for British Passport then they will have to apply British citizenship. standard processing time for British Citizenship is 6 months.

after British citizenship approval, your parent can apply for British Passport. it will take about 6 weeks.

i hope it will help you

please give positive rating.

IA Solicitors, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1831
Experience: Principal at IA Solicitors
IA Solicitors and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you