How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask IA Solicitors Your Own Question
IA Solicitors
IA Solicitors, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1833
Experience:  Principal at IA Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
IA Solicitors is online now

My question is regarded eea retained rights, I have divorced

This answer was rated:

hi my question is regarded eea retained rights
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have divorced the eu national on the grounds of domestic violence. I am currently in the Uk and i have 3 children. all minors. I have guinea bissau citizenship my eea family residency card has expired.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

when did you get divorce?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

when did you get marry?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My residence card expired since 26.8.17 when the relationship started to broke down

what is your children's immigration status.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The eldest has uk residence and Guinean passport. The other 2 have we’re both born in the uk, but do not hold a passport or. Residence

what is the base of your eldest child's residence card?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Child of a eea national

you did not apply to extend your residence card after 26/8/2017?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

what was your status from 26/08/2017 until 04/09/2019?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I was still married, but I only had my Guinean passport my residence was expired during this time


i can help you for your concerns.

you are over stayer and has no legal immigration status.

you can apply for right to retain but your visa expired in 2017 and you did not apply for further extension but you got divorce in 2019. it will be Home Office discretion. how they see your circumstances.

you will have to prove that your spouse was exercising treaty rights at the time of divorce.

i hope it will help you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.


please give positive rating by pressing 5 stars on top rights corner of your screen

IA Solicitors and 5 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you