How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 8392
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a South African citizen. I moved to London over a year

Customer Question

I am a South African citizen. I moved to London over a year ago based on a job offer. The company I am with sponsored my Tier 2 working visa. Both of my maternal grandparents were born in Scotland. I want to know what the procedure is for me to apply for an ancestral UK visa in my personal capacity.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am living in the UK. I am a South African Citizen. As I am currently here on a work sponsored Tier 2 visa and want to convert it to an ancestral visa I have not completed any paper work with the UK government
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the tier 2 visa?
Customer: The company I work for used an immigration company called CIBTUK to process the original TIER 2 visa
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.


You cannot switch into an ancestry visa from within the UK, you would need to return to RSA and apply from there for the visa, the application has to be done online, see here for further information on the application process:

May I help further?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I need just need to reply from outside the UK i.e. from South Africa. Can I apply whilst I still have the Tier 2 visa or do I need to relinquish the company sponsored Tier 2 visa before applying for the ancestral visa?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

You may apply for the ancestry visa whilst you have the Tier 2 visa.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.


This question is still open. Please click on 5 stars so that I may close it.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is 5 stars?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

At the top of the page if you are using a PC. Positive rating.