Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My parents lived and worked in the UK for 9years in the 60s

Customer Question

My parents lived and worked in the UK for 9years in the 60s -70s. They have two kids born in the UK who are citizens while I was born outside the UK. Can my parents be entitled to any form of citizenship rights for the years lived in the UK.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Not yet filed . I live in nigeria
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else for now
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, unfortunately whilst they would have been eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) at the time and eventually citizenship having been out of the country for approximately 3 decades they would not now be eligible for citizenship. If they wish to come to the UK however, and have long term health conditions or because of their age then they may be able to come under a family visa based on one or both of their children with UK citizenship looking after them in the UK. Apologies please ignore the part regarding going to court. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My dad already has his pension worked out for the years he lived and worked in the UK ....so these mean nothing ad well?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, by his pension I take it you mean a private pension not a state pension. A private pension is essentially a contract between you and the pension provider or the pension arranged by your employer aid you it does not mean you have citizenship for example I could got to France and that French company may as a perk of the job arrange pension contributions for me while I’m there. That does not mean I get french citizenship. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
State pension

Hi thank you for your message, you can claim a UK state pension if you have paid or been credited with UK National Insurance contributions (NIC) – these are the UK’s social security contributions. Your parents would have done this when they worked here however, again this does not amount to eligibility for citizenship unfortunately. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.