Tamari Kokrashvili
Tamari Kokrashvili, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  OISC, LLB (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law
105993163

My wife is Canadian and and have brought her to the UK as a

Good afternoon,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My wife is Canadian and I'm British and have brought her to the UK as a Spousal visa. We arrived here in April 2013 and she has done the first visa and has her second Residence Permit running out in Jan 2020 What is the next step. Does she have to go the Leave to Remain or can she now apply straight for Citizenship?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am British. Live in the UK. She has not yet filed paperwork for the next step.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No, that's what I need to get advice on; which is the best next step
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have three children but they are all British through decent even t=hough born in Canada

Good evening and thanks for your question today. As your wife will be completing her 5 years on a spouse visa she can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Does she have to go that direction or can she move to Citizenship at this point without Indefinite Leave to Remain stage?

No, I am afraid she can not apply for naturalization without obtaining an Indefinite Leave to Remain first.

But once she obtains Indefinite Leave to Remain she can apply for naturalization straight after.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK. That answers my question. Many thanks for your help.

No problem I am happy I have helped. I would appreciate if you can give me a positive 5-star rating if you are satisfied with the answers provided today as it is crucial for me to maintain my services as it stands now.