Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Immigration Consultant/Supervisor at Chatham Chambers solicitors
106663647

I have received my permanent residency card (about a month

Hi there. I have received my permanent residency card (about a month ago), however over the last 12 months i had to be out of the country (over 100 days) for personal reasons. Can i still apply for a citizenship if so how ? Do i need to explain the circumstances of my excessive absences ?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am a Bulgarian citizen (part of the EU)
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hi there. I have received my permanent residency card (about a month ago), however over the last 12 months i had to be out of the country (over 100 days) for personal reasons. Can i still apply for a citizenship if so how ? Do i need to explain the circumstances of my excessive absences ?

Further to your e-mail, you can normally only apply for citizenship after you have had your Permanent Residency for 12 months, except if you have been in the UK for over 6 years.

If you are eligible to apply you will need to explain the excessive absences. Please refer to the naturalisation guidance below, Page 11

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/794168/Guide_AN__Naturalisation_Booklet.pdf

According to the guidance, you should be able to apply as long as you explain the reason for the excessive absence.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have been in the UK for over 6 years. What is regarded as an acceptable or valid reason for being away. As mentioned it is a personal reason ( last year i stayed 4 weeks in Hong Kong for work, which i read is a valid reason), however i am unsure how the personal reasons are accepted .
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Could you advise ?

You will need to explain your reason in detail and it is at the discretion of the Home Office whether they will accept it. Kindly note that in relation to citizenship applications the Home Office have the Discretion to accept excessive absences as long as you meet all the other requirements.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, that was very useful. Thank you very much !