How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4752
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I need a vice on settled status

Customer Question

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I need a vice on settled status as a French immigrant, in particular my criminal record
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: None - not yet - french
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a very old offence (+15 years ago) I did 2 weeks in jail I was 20 or 21
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, you should apply under the EU settlement scheme ASAP, this is based on residence and a criminal records check is not conducted for these purposes. If you have been in the UK for 5 years or more you will be granted indefinite leave to remain (ILR) if not then you will be granted a visa for up to 5 years. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.