How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 6916
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am an Australian medical doctor and my husband is British.

Customer Question

I am an Australian medical doctor and my husband is British. I enquired to the GMC about exempt person status (I have not yet sat the PLAB exam), and they advised I apply via the EC rights section under 'I am a family member of a UK National'. I am also hoping to work for WHO in Switzerland for 6 months, unsure if this makes a difference working in the EU. What are my chances at gaining exemption through this route or am I better off going through PLAB?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the form I have been advised to submit to the GMC, although I am dubious to whether I will be accepted on the basis of an Australian medical degree + british husband
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

This is relevant if both of you were living in another EU country and moving to the UK.

If you are both living in the UK, that would not apply.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are currently both living in Australia and relocating to the UK. The GMC advised me to apply via the link above, but not sure how likely it is to be approved
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

That link applies to people relocating from other EU countries to the UK, you are not claiming EC rights, so that link is not applicable in my view and you should re check this with the GMC.