Tamari Kokrashvili
Tamari Kokrashvili, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  OISC, LLB (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law
105993163

I have a question. My husband is Englishman and has English

Hello! I have a question. My husband is Englishman and has English citizenship. I am Russian with Russian citizenship. We are married since 22 May 2019. We live together in Italy since August 2018. We want to move to England for a life. If he will find a job and in April will sign a contract which will start from August 2020 can we apply for wife visa for me April 2020 to receive an access to UK from August-September 2020?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Hello! I have a question. My husband is Englishman and has English citizenship. I am Russian with Russian citizenship. We are married since 22 May 2019. We live together in Italy since August 2018. We want to move to England for a life. If he will find a job and in April will sign a contract which will start from August 2020 can we apply for wife visa for me April 2020 to receive an access to UK from August-September 2020?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: Nope
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: For now it is enough.

Good morning and thanks for your question today. Does your husband works at the moment? If yes does he earn more than £18,600 in a year before taxes?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Good morning, Tamari! He is working now at school in Italy and earns £22500 per year. I have passive income giving my flat in Moscow for the rent for around £17500 per year.
That’s great. In this case, important is his earnings as he will be your sponsor.
Will you have a accomodation in the UK?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
We will have accomodation in the house of his mum in UK with official contract for around £400 a month. His contract here is finishing at the beginning of July 2020 (started August 2018).

Great. There are two options you have, one is called Surinder Singh Route and one under British Spouse visa. I have a meeting starting at the moment but I will be back to you in one hour and explain everything in detail. Is that OK?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes, thank you very much!
Thanks a lot for waiting!
So as I have said there are two possible options;
One is under European Law and on
e is under British Law.
Option 1: As a British Citizen because your husband lived in one of the EU countries, in this case Italy, you can apply for a residence card.
Option 2: Your husband will be your sponsor under British Law, considering he has worked in the past 6 months before applying for your visa for the same employer and earned more than £18,600 financial requirement will be met but also he must make sure that he already has a valid job offer once he will reach the UK and will be again earning more than £18,600 in a year.
I would say that first option is much easier but considering that the UK is going to leave the EU I am not sure how this still will be applicable to you after a few months.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and I am happy to help.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Tamari, thank you. I red already documents in gov.uk about both opportunities. I understand that we need to wait till brexit conditions will be known. Just two more questions: 1. With Surinder Singh Route will I be able to work from the beggining in UK? 2. If we are planing to move there in July, when the earliest we can apply for Surinder Singh Route visa?
You can apply straight away one you will obtain your visa. Earliest you can apply is usually 3 month before you planned arrival date.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you very much. No more questions! Have a nice evening!
Thanks a lot and I am sorry to keep you waiting. Good luck with your application.