Tamari Kokrashvili
Tamari Kokrashvili, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  OISC, LLB (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law
105993163

I am a little confused about difference between ILR

Good morning. I am a little confused about difference between ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and Citizenship. I am not sure which should I apply next.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Leave in the UK under Residence Permit (British spouse leave to remain), completed my 5 years route. My current citizenship is Russian Federation
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: No, not sure if green card is relevant ??
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Good morning and thanks for your question today

How long have you been in the UK on a spouse visa? I believe you said you already finished 5 years on spouse visa am I correct?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good morning Tamari
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes correct, would you like to see supporting documents?
Yes please, send me copy of your visa here but hide your personal details please. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1 min, thank you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Here we go
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As per accompanied letter, I am a bit confused between "apply for settlement" or citizenship application. To apply for UK citizenship I need one of the following:
1) indefinite leave to remain
2) settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
3) a permanent residence document to confirm you have permanent residence status
Can my Residence permit visa be considered as option 3? (permanent residence document)
Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please let me know if you require more information

OK, let me explain to you. Settled Status and Permanent Residence are issued under the EU law.

Indefinite Leave to remain which you need to obtain now is issued under British Law. For your case, British Law is applicable.

Before applying for naturalization as a British Citizen, you must obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Understood.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Great help thank you Tamari

Earliest you can apply for indefinie leave to remain in 28 days before your current expires

I hope I have helped, I would appreciate if you can give me a positive rating as I have answered your questions and if you are satisfied with the answers provided today as it is crucial for me to maintain my services as it stands now.
Thanks in advance!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Of course, 5 starts without a doubt !

Thank you! Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry to be a pain, one small question: if I am travelling with ILR to Shengen countries, will I need Shengen visa?

Unfortunately yes, you will need. The UK is not part of that even though it is in the EU.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
great thank you Tamari. Have a nice day

No worries, feel free to contact me in the future as well if you need help with your ILR or naturalization applications.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Will do, thank you