Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I need a second opinion on registration for British

I need a second opinion on registration for British citizenship using form T. Please reply to this and i will give more details...
Hi thank you for your message, what is your query please,
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, i apologize for my late response, just seeing this now.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
the thing is, i do not meet the residence requirements i have only lived 3 years out of 10. The story is complex...mother (unmarried) decided she could not take care of me whilst studying in the UK so she had me leave with my father when his permit to stay in the UK expired.
I thought my application could have some strength because of the following things:
1. my father's absence with me was not voluntary, it was beyond his control (permit expired, could not renew)
2. my mother is a naturalised British
3. Had things worked out differently between my parents,i would have remained in the UK with my mother or would have returned to her in the years that followed (she's been resident since mid 90s to date)

...at the time of my birth, neither of them were settled, and i now still live with my father (outside the UK).
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
i am above 18 years of age...
Ok so when and where were you born? From what you said I take it neither parent was a uk citizen or has settled status at the time of your birth?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Born in 1997 London Uk. Yes u are correct
Hi thank you for your message, that does sadly mean you would not automatically be a British citizen furthermore, if you are not currently resident in the UK you cannot claim citizenship via long residence. If you or your parents are not citizens of an EEA country (excluding the UK for these purposes) then you would not be able to apply for citizenship based on 3 years residence that is not even continuing residence. I appreciate this may not be the news you would want but I have to tell you the law as it is not how we might want it to be therefore, I would appreciate if you could please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you so much for the response.