Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My partner is American and. However; my partners father is

Customer Question

Hi. My partner is American and I am English. However; my partners father is british and we have found out that he can be considered a British citizen. However, we are not sure which way to do this. Does he
1. Apply for a British passport
Or
2. Apply for citizenship https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/after-you-apply
Or
3. Do them both at same time? (I think there may be a way of doing it at the same time on one form)We are very confused by this. We know for sure he sets the criteria about his fate of birth, bris parents being married, his dad being a registered British citizen and his mum being American. He was born in America.Please help!!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, it is likely he is automatically a British citizen in which case he can just apply for a UK passport but to confirm when was he born? His dad was a uk citizen? Were his parents married at the time?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He was born 15 October 1997. His parents were married and his dad has always been a British citizen and was born here
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’ve read online that he needs to prove he is a British citizen
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/after-you-apply
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
:/
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry. My partner has just said his parents were engaged but not married. Although we believe he can still apply
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We are just not sure which way to do it

Hi thank you for your message, so if his parents were married at the time of his birth then he would automatically be a British citizen but because they were not he can still be British but he needs to apply. To do this he must show that his father was a British citizen when your partner was born and he must have been born or adopted in the UK as in this case. He will need to pay: £80 to attend a citizenship ceremony and £19.20 to have his biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. He can apply online here: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/nationality-ukf?_ga=2.246644996.1801767782.1578775261-1268263661.1577054567

There is guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-ukf-guidance

He will be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide his biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). He does not need to send his documents anywhere. He can either:

upload copies into the online service
have them scanned at his UKVCAS appointment

He can also get help filling in the form here:

[email protected]
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944
Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm GMT

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Is he better off applying in the US it waiting until he is here?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If he starts the application and says he is outside of the UK will it affect him travelling here whilst the application is in process?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 5 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, he can apply from the US and then he can come to the uk if he needs to for an appointment. No problem if he applies and then comes to the UK. As a US citizen he can come to the UK for 6 months as a visitor without a visa. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.