Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am from South Africa but I am also a British Citizen. I

Hi, I am from South Africa but I am also a British Citizen. I have never lived in the UK before but I would like to relocate in the next couple months. My husband is Australian and works as an officer on a private yacht based outside of the UK. Will he able to apply for residency in the UK? Does he have to spend a certain amount of time in the year in the UK? Kind regards, Amy
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We have not taken any steps yet. I am a South African and British citizen and my husband is an Australian citizen
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don’t think so
Hi thank you for your message, yes your husband could apply for a visa as your spouse this would give him residence for 2.5 years after which it would need to be renewed. However, he cannot be outside the UK for more than 180 days in any given year.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The problem is that he is contracted to work for a minimum of 183 days a year on the boat and with travel days etc it would never be possible for him to be in the UK for that amount of time...
Hi thank you for your message, well another option would be for him to get a multiple year visit visa. This would enable him to spend up to 6 months per trip in the UK and he could get a visa that allows him to do this for 5 years so he could see you. This is also very cheap compared to most visas. He would not be able to work in the uk but I understand he wouldn’t be as he would be working when he is on the boat. The issue with this visa though is that he would not be eligible for indefinite leave to remain under this visa so none of his time in the uk on visits would count towards indefinite leave.