SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am seeking multiple forms of advice on this matter...I am

Customer Question

Hi- I am seeking multiple forms of advice on this matter...I am a US citizen and didn't need to apply or receive a visitor visa when I came into the country on Sept 16, 2019. This is because when I did the online questionnaire on the UK gov website, it said I didn't need one: “U.S. citizens do not need a visa for tourist or business travel to the United Kingdom for a stay up to 6 months. A valid U.S. Passport is required.” When I came in September, I went through the e-passport gates so therefore didn't talk to anyone at border control nor did I get a stamp on my passport. Whereas, when I traveled in Nov 2018, I got a stamp in my passport that said I could stay for 6 months. I would like to understand more about how this 6 months to stay is calculated. I was here Nov 13-20th 2018 and then came back on Sept 16, 2019, and have been here basically ever since. (I did one trip to Belgium Nov 20th-24th). Did my new "year" start on Nov 13, 2019? Meaning I can be in the UK from Nov 13, 2019-May 13th, 2020 (6 months)? This is what I have been told, but I would like to confirm. thanks!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your query. What date did you first enter the UK?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi- you already answered this for me. I am putting it out there for other advice as well. thanks
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your enquiry, I am reviewing your question for you

Did you get a stamp in your passport when you went to Belgium?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
yes from when I arrived in Belgium but not for the return

So when you go through the e-passport gates the system notes your entry dates. You get your 6 months from when you enter the UK, however you have to be very careful where the time you have been out of the UK is very short although you will not be considered an overstayer but you will not be allowed entry on the grounds 'you have made the UK your home'. essentially therefore you need to make sure when you leave before the 6 months you spend a significant amount of time. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, so it tracks it from the time I entered THIS visit vs last visit (Nov 2018)? It sounds like to play it safe, I should leave the country in March (which is 6 months from Sept 2019), then continue my job search to hopefully get a work visa to then come back being sponsored by a company. Correct?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

Hi, apologies for the delay, i have not been online. Yes your understanding is correct and what you propose to work with March is sensible because the 4 days to Belgium are too short for the home office to be convinced that you are settled more in the US than the UK in a given 12 month period. All the best. if it is not too much trouble I would be most grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience