SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

My daughter lives in Houston and is married to a Texan. She

Customer Question

My daughter lives in Houston and is married to a Texan. She has her green card interview today. She works full time and has a 1 year old. I would like to go out there to retire and help with childcare. What is the process and what would we have to do
JA: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your daughter live in? If different, what is her citizenship?
Customer: She has documents to travel and work, they are having their green card interview today. She works and resides in the US now and she will have to apply for citizenship in the future.
JA: Has your daughter talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: Not yet i don't think
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would live with them. If i start the process could I also work and draw my state pension when it's due
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 7 months ago.
I am an experienced immigration advisor and would be happy to answer your question.Until your daughter is a US citizen they would not be able to sponsor you to live or work in the US.As you have advised that she will be applying for citizenship it is not a very long time that you have to wait.In the meantime you are able to visit them regularly. You are allowed 90 day visit using The current ESTA system or you can apply for a B2 visitor visa which generally allows for 6 months leave and whilst there you can apply to extend it.I hope that helps.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would it have to be my daughter that sponsors me? Could her husband?
You cannot file an immigration petition for your wife's parents. If you are a US citizen, you can only sponsor Green Cards for your spouse, parents and your children. ... Nevertheless, your wife can sponsor her parents after she becomes a US citizen.I hope that makes sense, unfortunately the immigration system is very restrictive.

Sorry to bother you.

I hope that I have been able to answer your question.

If you would be so kind as to rate the response so that Just Answer can release my payment it would be appreciated.

S

Sorry to bother you.

S