Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
31642296

I have just applied to renew my UK passport online online

Hi I have just applied to renew my UK passport online online and registered that I also hold a Cypriot passport (both allow dual nationality). However in order to complete my application the UKPA wants me to send in my Cypriot passport too. My Cypriot passport has my surname as: maiden name/married name (ie double barrelled) whereas my UK passport is only in my married name. The UKPA says while they allow dual nationality they only have a one name policy. What is my best option? They suggested changing my name by deed poll to have the double barrelled name but that sounds over the top?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Live in UK I completed the UK passport renewal online
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I am going to try and change the name on my Cypriot passport first if they allow that but would like a profesional opinion
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no do you just connect me on now?

Hi How can I help?

It would be advisable that you have the document name Change By Deed Poll or prepare a Affidavit confirming that you are the same person. The cost is the same to be honest and one way or another needs to be done.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you mean change the name on my Cypriot passport to match the British one? Would that mean presenting an affidavit to the Cypriot High Commission enabling them to do so?7
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you refer me to a lawyer I can go to locally?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK happy to pay £44 for the call. How do we do that

Please click on the phone link