Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Immigration Consultant/Supervisor at Chatham Chambers solicitors
106663647

I haven’t been able to leave Australia due to COVID19

Customer Question

Hi, I haven’t been able to leave Australia due to COVID19 restrictions and I’m here on an ETA but never got a confirmation of my ETA, I need to apply to stay longer but I don’t know where to start or what to apply for
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: I’ve registered with the UK embassy that I’m stuck here but they haven’t responded. What paperwork would I need to file?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I haven’t, I just today realised my ETA is only 90 days and I’ve been here 2 months
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’m married to an Australian citizen but he is still in the UK (I don’t know if that makes any difference)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 9 days ago.

Further to your question, I will revert back to shortly.

Kind Regards

I enclose herewith the guidance from the Australian Government and you need to apply for a Bridging visa if your visa has already expired.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/staying-australia#25

I hope that answers your question and please do accept my answer.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, no my visa has not yet expired, should I wait until it expires and then apply for a bridging visa?

You will need to apply ideally prior to the expiry of the visa to ensure you do not become an overstayer.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay, so what visa do I apply for now as the bridging visa specifies i should apply if my visa has already expired which it hasn’t
The gov page said the visa would depend on my circumstances but I really don’t understand what to apply for

The Bridging visa can be applied for even before the expiry of your visa if you know that you might overstay. I suggest that you apply within 28 days of the expiry of your current visa and provide them with the evidence that you have contacted the British Embassy and are awaiting for a response from them.

Kind Regards

Please do let me know if I can be of any further hesitance, otherwise please do accept my answer in order for Just Answer to credit me for the advise that I have provided you with today.

Kind Regards