SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

I have a civil cohabitation agreement from Cyprus and I am

I have a civil cohabitation agreement from Cyprus and I am currently residing in the UK. Me and my partner who is from outside the EU have separated. Can he legally reside in the UK after we dissolve the partnership?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Cypriot citizenship. He is Venezuelan. We are in the process of submitting the dissolution papers in Cyprus.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet. As he will not sign the dissolution until his immigration status is clarified.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that’s all
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.Simply put yes he can. There are EEA regulations known as derivative rights of residence which allow those who came to the country or live in the country as a spouse or partner to remain in the country. It applies when relationships end mutually or if the EEA partner were to pass away etc.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you! Ok so he can still reside in the country even after we sign the papers and finalise the dissolution?
he can under regulation 10 (5) of the EEA regulations.Should he need to renew his eea family permit then he can do so and find more information at the link below.https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/retained-rights-of-residence
Please do rate the answer.