How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1849
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I am applying for my spouse visa, my husband (who is my

This answer was rated:

I am applying for my spouse visa, my husband (who is my sponsor) currently lives in a HMO, he rents 1 room presently, will this be sufficient? Our kids who are 5 and 3years old are joining Me to the uk. what do we need to do?

Hi, I am a UK Lawyer and will be assisting you with this matter today. Please note, there can sometimes be delays between messages. Thank you.

I will read your question and respond

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I haven't seen the response yet

Kindly bear with me. Thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No I prefer to chat.

So there will be in total four people in total in a 1 bedroom flat? Is that correct?

What type of HMO licence does he have?

What are the sex's oft the children?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
not sure what you mean by HMO license. he lives in a shared apartment, and yes 4 people in total, but i hear kids under 10 years are counted as half
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the 5year old is a girl and the 3 year old is a boy
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can send you the contract agreement if you would like to view it.

You said he currently lives in a HMO?

.The permitted number of people depends on the size of the room, the number of living rooms and bedrooms in the dwelling, and the age of the occupants.

1 bedroom flat for four would not be sufficient. He would require at least a 2 bedroom for you and your two kids to come and you him in the UK.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
or maybe I am not of what a HMO is, please can you tell me? I thought HMO meant housing in multiple occupancy?

That might be referring to the entire property itself - was the HMO granted in his name? The tenancy agreement does it specific the number of rooms? Can the landlord confirm the size, composition of the property?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
HE intends to move to a bigger place before my visa is granted does this count?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no the tenancy agreement only States that he is renting ROOM 1
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
he rents from a landlord. let us forget about the HMO I must have used the term wrongly

If he moves before the visa application is made - this will help. He would need to provide evidence of accommodation to prove where he resides and the composition of the property and that it is suitable for a family of 4 in total. He can get a agreement in place to show this.

Also that he had paid a deposit towards the property/accommodation so that it will materialise.

Thank you

Before you go,

I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it

The purpose of the rating is to continue to assist other customers and continue to provide a high level of service on Justanswer.

Lawyer21 and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok thank you very, I will surely rate you.

Appreciate the rating