SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

I want to speak to real person, UK, no, no

I want to speak to real person
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am EU citizen from Bulgaria, living in the UK. I have full settled status however, for UK citizenship I am required as per newest updates to provide evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance or European Health Insurance Card. EHIC serves to as proof that I am ensured at home. However, because I do not have EHIC I wonder how am I able to prove to the government that I've had insurace? The EU states that EHIC directly helps to prove that I have insurance and is accepted to work as CSI in the UK. In the meantime those not having EHIC are still able to use the healthcare and should I have to pay, I (any any other EU citizens) are able to ask the healthcare systems of our countries for reimbursemen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that EU citizens in the UK can access the healthcare system of the UK. However, in this case I an looking for a way to prove something from pure administrative context.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At present hundreds of thousands of europeans are in limbo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically what evidence can I use and how to obtain it in order to be recognised by the government during my citizenship application as being covered by healthcare policy? There should be some EU or UK - Bulgaria agreements.

I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.Why can you not apply for the EHIC now?Were you here in the UK as a worker or as a student?If you were a worker you do not need to prove that you had an EHIC or sickness insurance because you would have been able to pay for your healthcareKind regards
S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially I arrived as a worker and then became full time student. Through out the time i've had gaps of employment. In addition the bulgarian EHIC came out to have been valid for only 1 year after being issued. So, each year new ehic card should have been issued. In additiom having settled status already doesn't require me to have csi or ehic anymore. All i need is upon application for citizenship to be able to provide evidence.Thank you
You can explain that in your application. There is Home Office discretion with regards ***** ***** element of the application and it would be unreasonable for you to get insurance at ever small gap in employment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no small gap at employment. I used to study for 3 years. That's enough of a gap. I want to be able to use a way to proof that I have been insured in bulgaria and use this evidence. The paradox is that i should have applied for ehic card. Now because i haven't i'm in limbo and so are hundreds of thousands of europeans. With or without ehic should anyone had the need of healthcare emergency they would have been able to reimburs their paid money from their home healthcare systems anyway. I wondered what additional agreements are there that can make things legit and recognize my healthcare insurance as home as having csi or ehic. This are all administrative elenents only.
I am aware of the recent policy update requiring this proof. The policy also states that if you did not have csi or a EHIC that you can give reasons as to why you did not.You would state that you had the money to pay should you need to and that you could have been reimbursed by your home country.If the Home Office refuse your application you would be within your legal rights to challenge the decision and given the paradox a court is likely to agree that said policy is unlawful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do we know of any other similar cases of people who have been students and have gone through application and have been successful? I also did have gaps after graduation during moments as HR job seeker. I tend to be more concerned about the long period of gaps that i would have to state.
Sadly this policy was only implemented in May so the waters have not been tested.You would need to prove your employment anyway. The Home Office can request information from HMRC to compare with your evidence.
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience: Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OkayThank you for your assistance