How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5182
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am looking for someone who can help me with my mum who

This answer was rated:

I am looking for someone who can help me with my mum who lives in UK to see if we could move her to the USA I have been here for 22 years on a green card is this something you could help with?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: no we have not started. I live in the USA I am a UK citizen over her on a green card
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we would be looking for someone who can manage The Whole process as I am an only child my mum is 92

Hello I will assist today.

I am a U.K. solicitor working between the U.K. and the USA.

Unfortunately, as a US green card holder, you have no legal right to bring your mother to the USA. To be able to petition for her, you would need to be a US citizen and not a Green card permanent resident.

At best, ***** ***** apply for a B2 visa that would allow her to stay for up to 6 months each year. The other option is for you to apply for citizenship.

james bruce and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. Would it make any difference if my wife who is a USA citizen born and bread is involved we have been married almost ten years?

Afraid not, your wife cannot file for her mother in law, if you do apply for citizenship, once granted you can apply for immediate family green card.