Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

Will a civil Marriage in Uganda be recognised in the UK and

Will a civil Marriage in Uganda be recognised in the UK and how to I go about bringing my wife over to the U.K. to live with me permanently?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Im a British Citizen and I’ve not done any paperwork . I’ve never done this before so I’ve no idea how the process works
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

You can bring your wife to the UK, if all the following requirements are being met

the requirements for the Spouse Visa are-

· You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.

· You must have met each other and be legally married.

· You must intend to live together permanently.

· You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds.

· You must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings( £16000) to be able to sponsor you. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children.

· You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants.

You must satisfy the English language requirements

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have answer for me?

Your civil marriage in Uganda will get recognized in the UK, If it is registered in the Uganda,you would have to attach that as proof.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today

In order for foreign marriages to be recognised as legal in the UK, the following conditions must be met:

• The marriage must be recognised as a legal marriage in the country in which it took place and the parties to the marriage must have complied with the procedures required in the country of marriage. This generally includes giving the relevant notice and having the required witnesses.
  • Each party to the marriage must have capacity to marry under the laws of the country that they are domiciled at the time of the marriage. The country in which you are domiciled will be the country of your main permanent home in which you live, or to which you intend to return. Capacity covers issues such as age, consent and mental capacity.
  • Any previous marriage must be properly terminated as per the requirements of English law.

Does that answer your question?

If you have any follow up question, please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I earn 42k per year , I have a three bedroom house , I don’t have £16000 in Cash I do have Equity in the house and I have 22k credit Limit . Will that be enough

If you have salary of £42k, then you do not need the saving.

It is either salary of £18600 or savings of £16k

You just need an annual income of £18600 to meet the financial requirement

If that answers your question, May I politely remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today,so that I could get credited for my time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That’s great and where do I get the application form from ?

You can apply online by following the below web link-

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

Please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today

Thank you and all the very best.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will my wife get British Citizenship and be able to live here with me or do we have to apply for British Citizenship after she has moved into the U.K.?

After 5 years staying on spouse visa, she will be eligible for ILR, and once she has the ILR , she can apply for Naturalisation as a British Citizen

You have to apply for a spouse visa for 2.5 years and then extend it for further 2.5 years

After 5 years, she will first get the Indefinite Leave to Remain, and afterwards, she can apply for citizenship here

Does that answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What’s ILR ?Remember I’ve never done this before and I’ve n idea about Immigration . I was born in the U.K. so I’ve no need to understand Immigration Rules

Indefinite Leave to Remain, that is a permanent settlement status in the UK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much will that Cost me ?

Do you mean the spouse visa fee?

Application fee for a spouse visa is around £1523

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions?

If that answers your question, May I politely remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for the answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
163;1523 is that for the Government ?

For the Govt?

It is application fee for the spouse visa

Yes you have to pay at the time of your application online so that your application can be processed. It is paid to the Gov

Does that answer all your questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me get this right . I’m a British Citizen who pays tax all my life , I have to pay £1523 just for an application for my wife to come and live with me in my home Country ?

Yes that is absolutely right.

Being a citizen and paying taxes here, does not exempt you from the processing fee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wow , I’m speechless. Does that guarantee her entry into the UK ?

That does not guarantee anything, it is a non-refundable fee, even if the application is rejected, the processing fee does not get refunded.

It is the fee that is charged from all the applicants for processing their visa applications

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My home Country is deny me the right of happiness with my wife , if I pay a fee then it’s ok for her to come ? Uganda is a Commonwealth Countryoo
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Too

These are the rules, I can not comment on if they are morally right or not.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

If not, then please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time

Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day.

All the very best for your visa application.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can the application get rejected ?

I have sent you all the requirements for getting the spouse visa, if those requirements are not met, then the application will surely get rejected.

I have already answered your original question if your marriage in Uganda would be recognized in the UK, legalities around foreign marriages, and all other requirements for getting the spouse visa.

May I kindly request you to rate my answer by selecting the stars at the top of your screen, so that I could get credited for the time I have spent on your answer.