INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

When applying for a UK family Visa from within the UK when I

When applying for a UK family Visa from within the UK when I would normally have to apply from the US, but due to Covid, I am applying while here and they ask if I have leave to remain or a visa do I tick no or yes? I entered just as a visitor through the e passport gates and my 6 months has not quite run out yet. When we called the Corona Virus Immigration line they said we could apply for my visa here.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am filling in the application now but I have yet to send it off or anything. I am from the US, I have lived mostly in the US. I used to have a student visa to the UK. I visited a lot of places but the only places I have 'lived' are the USA and the UK. And I have never settled anywhere besides the US.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I am just confused about the terminology on the application.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for your query. I see youbhave requested a telephone call. Would you still like this service?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I clicked on the phone call button to see if it would give me information about calling, I did not realise it would request a call, sorry.

No problem. Please ignore the call request.

At present, you do have limited leave to remain for the duration of your visa. The leave to remain expires when yo8r Visa expires.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought I had limited leave to remain. HOWEVER, when you tick yes it asks you for your visa or biometric card details in a blank. What 'visa' is entering through the e passport gates? Because I don't have an actual visa so I am at a bit of a loss about what to type there?

Noted. You would have been given a Visa on Arrival. Do you have any reference numbers? If not, explain in the form you were used a Visa on arrival as you are a US Citizen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, Usually I would get a stamp in my passport that says six months entry etc, However since I can now use E-Passport gates I no longer get even a physical stamp. So I do not have an actual visa with and expiration date just the knowledge I am allowed to stay for 6 months. So is the technical term for this type of entry 'Visa on Arrival' ??

Yes, this would be a Visa on Arrival and valid for 6 months from the date of entry.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When it asks about countries I have lived in besides the UK, Should I put the US as one continuous place up till now or should I do my birth date until my first visa to stay in the UK as a student and then put the US again afterwards?

You would have to detail where youbhave lived. If this is the US, you should state the US.