How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I need some advice for my daughters UK passport application.

This answer was rated:

I need some advice for my daughters UK passport application.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We applied online for her first UK passport. She was born in 2004. I have been living and working in UK since 1987, EU national of Germany. Got married in 2003, to an non-EU citizens.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do you want the brief summary of the case with the dates
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.Please give some more information and what specifically you would like to know.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send you a summary of the case:
We applied in April 2020 for a first British passport for our daughter, DoB 12.05.2004.
After a long period of waiting we received a letter from the Passport/Home Office asking for additional evidence of the father’s status of permanent residence/indefinite leave in the UK.
With this request we realised that we may have misread the online advice concerning children born between 2000 and 2006.
The question is “What is the best way to get British Citizenship for our daughter?”
1987 – I, the father, German national, came to Britain and obtained my first residence card in order to receive my NI and NHS numbers.
I have been living and working in Britain since and bought a house in 1999.
2003 – we got married, my wife is an Argentinian national and was working in the Argentine embassy at the time with a resident status acquired based on her work in the Embassy.
2003 – Right away we applied for her to get a Residence Permit and as part of the application I had to fill in the form. We both received new residence cards – valid 2003 to 2008.
2004 – our daughter was born.
2008 – we renewed our Resident Cards and received Permanent Residence Status
2009 – our daughter received her Resident Card with Permanent Residence
2020 – before her 16th birthday we applied for her first British passport assuming that my time in the UK from 1987 would be sufficient as we understood the information from the Home Office online. This was an online application and we would hope to be able to go further with this.
What are the options for our daughter to get a British Passport/Nationality?
I think I have responded on a different chat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** new to the system and will find the other chat - there was some mixup.
To reiterate.She would need to apply for citizenship as a individual with permenant residence. She would need to prove 5 years residence in the UK.She can then apply for a passport.Happy to answer follow ups.Kind regards
SS Legal Advisor and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you