Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Immigration Consultant/Supervisor at Chatham Chambers solicitors
106663647

I was born in Hereford in May, 1953. Adopted and lived in

Customer Question

I was born in Hereford in May, 1953. Adopted and lived in Walsall, London, etc, until 1983 when I moved to the United States. I have lived in the US ever since. My parents died some 6-7 years ago and I've not been to England since then. I'm seriously considering moving back to live in the UK for my retirement. However, I have no documentation at all (except my UK passport). How do I go about getting confirmation of my social security number, etc., and any possible benefits that might apply?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: No paperwork filed. As written, I live in the US. UK citizen and passprort.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, that's why I'm asking you :-)
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 19 days ago.

Further to your question, if you are a British National you can just come and live in the UK. You will be able to apply for a NI Number once you arrive in the UK.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 16 days ago.

Please do let me know if you need any further information or assistance otherwise please do accept my answer in order for Just Answer to credit me for the advice that I have provided you.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When were National Insurance numbers first introduced? As someone who worked in the UK until 1983 would I not have been granted such a number? Can I apply for this number in advance from here in the US?

You should have been issued a NI number even if you were in the UK in the 80's. I enclose herewith the link where you can speak to the NI helpline.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-enquiries-for-employees-and-individuals

Kind Regards

Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 15 days ago.

Please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance otherwise please do accept my answer in order for Just Answer to credit me for the advise that I have provided you.

Kind Regards