How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari Kokrashvili Your Own Question
Tamari Kokrashvili
Tamari Kokrashvili, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 752
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari Kokrashvili is online now

One of my friend committed a crime in UK, has been in jail

This answer was rated:

One of my friend committed a crime in UK, has been in jail for 2 years then they sent him to his country (part of EU) where he spent in jail another 3 years. Now he is free and wants to know if he is allowed to come to UK again. He says he heard it is necessary to fill in some form and make inqiry probably to the HO but we don not know exactly what to do.

Good afternoon, I will be assisting with your query today.

As long as we are still in the EU convicted criminals are not automatically excluded from the country but your friend may be denied to enter the UK because of public policy, public security, or public health.

Can I confirm that your friend is EU national?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he is.

All right, in this case I confirm that above stated answer is correct. Also, please note that if your friend will be allowed in the U.K. when he will apply for a pre-settled status, unfortunately, most likely he will encounter problems because of his criminal convictions.

Before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in the future.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am sorry but you did not answer my question.

Can you clarify exactly what you want to know? I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I understand that he "may be denied to enter the UK". This is a reason I put my question " He says he heard it is necessary to fill in some form and make inqiry, probably to the HO, but we don not know exactly what to do". He wants to know if they let him cross the border before he travels.

There is no such a form to fill up and make an inquiry to the Home Office whether they will allow him in the country or not.

Having a criminal conviction is a negative aspect of someone's immigration history in the UK.

If your friend wants to find out whether he has been given a ban to enter the UK due to his conviction then the following form can be helpful:

Tamari Kokrashvili and 4 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you