Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

I live in West Africa and have been trying to help a friend

Customer Question

I live in West Africa and have been trying to help a friend whose husband has abducted their child and taken her to Edinburgh. I have tried to contact Social Work departments, education authorities etc to no avail. He is now refusing all contact and has applied for anx been granted a Britush passport for their child. She is now in Primary 2 but he has refused to tell the mother which school she is attending. She and the child's father were legally married at the time of the child's birth and they are named as mother and father on the birth certificate.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: She is going through the court system here in Gambia but she has not now seen her daughter since December 2017
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: The mother lies in Gambia West Africa though she is originally from Sierra Leone and the father lives in Edinburgh
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mother was concerned about potential child abuse and has involved Interpol in the past again to no avail
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 14 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you I am reviewing your question now, and will respond further within a few minutes

Expert:  Clare replied 14 days ago.

When did this happen?

Expert:  Clare replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry that you have not been able to respond but I will try and give an overview

You and your friend can get immediate assistance from the charity Reunite - www.reunite.org

Who will explain what steps need to be taken for the return of the child

Do please ask if you need further details