ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I need Advice please, I am british living in England, and my

Hi, I need Advice please, I am british living in England, and my husband is in America and hes going to apply for a spouse visa so he can live in England with me, the question is which is the quickest way to do this please, when hes gone to fill out the online forms it says its going to take up to 12 weeks to get a Spouse Visa, Can he apply for a spouse visa online in America, then move here to England, and wait for his Spouse Visa to be Issued, or can he just move here now, and then apply online for the Spouse Visa, or should he just apply for a regular 6 month visa so he can at least stay here 6 months then, and then apply for the spouse visa, so basically which is the quickest method of sorting this problem out. thank you.

This isCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for several years and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

I thank you for your enquiry and your patience.

1. He can apply for the spouse visa in America, he however would need to wait in America for the permit before travelling to the UK. He cannot apply and then travel to the UK while waiting on the decision to be processed unfortunately.

2. He cannot apply for the spouse visa from the UK. He would have to apply from outside the UK.

3. He could not switch from a visitors visa to a spouse visa in the UK, so unfortunately I would not recommend this route.

4. Ordinarily, he could have applied for the visa to be processed using the premium service. This would allow for his visa to be processed within 4 weeks. This facility, as far as I am aware was suspended during the pandemic. He could check when he is processing his online application whether the premium service has resumed. If the premium service has not resumed, then unfortunately, he would have to submit his application through the usual route.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks for the reply, its a nightmare, so our best bet is if the 4 week premier service has been restored, that would be great if it has, so i have told him to check his end if that service is now available, but failing that, is the reality it could take 12 weeks to get a spouse visa,

Unfortunately it is, because, if he were to enter on a visit visa, he would still be required to return to the US at the end of the 6 months to apply for the spousal visa. I do completely understand how frustrating and long the entire process can be. It is however best to do it correctly the first time so as to avoid any unnecessary further delays in you both reuniting.

Here is the link for checking whether the premium service has been resumed for spousal visas from the us:

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en#latest-updates_o=Article%20Date,Descending

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
many thanks for your help, you been very helpful, I will end the chat, and if i need anything else, i will ask you first, its so complex isnt it, i thought getting a spouse visa be easy and quick, but looks like there a bit harder to get,

I am glad I was able to help. Yes it does have its difficulties. You were speaking toCustomertoday, do let me know if I may further assist. Have a great day.