How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 761
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I would like to know what the process is to bring my 12 year

Customer Question

Hi good day, I would like to know what the process is to bring my 12 year old daughter to the UK to live with me. I have a British passport, she has a South African passport
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Can I get my daughter a British passport if I hold one. But I wasent born in the UK. My father was
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I work in the UK for 2 months at a time. Then go back to SA. And she lives with me for 2 months. Her father and step mother are also immigrating. My daughter wants to be with me. And I'm a single mum. So what do I need to do to start this process.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 19 days ago.

Good afternoon, you can bring your daughter to the U.K. as dependent child visa. You would need to show that you have sole responsibility for her by getting a court order and also provide evidence you are involved in upbringing when submitting the application.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
When I left to the UK I signed a parenting plan, saying that her father takes responsibility for her whilst I'm in the UK. Can that effect anything? Also I know he will have to sign to get her to come as a dependent with me.
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 19 days ago.

You can get the previous plan updated if the circumstances have now changed and wishing for her to live with you in uk