How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2724
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer & SRA Accredited Immigration Adviser
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

Please can you help? My daughter is an EEA national, living

This answer was rated:

Please can you help? My daughter is an EEA national, living in the UK since 2010 and now has permanent residency. I am her mother, an Icelandic citizen and would like to move to England before the end of the year. Will this be possible?
JA: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your daughter live in? If different, what is her citizenship?
Customer: She is Icelandic and she is living in the UK.
JA: Has your daughter talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, Welcome to JA

I will read your question and respond

When did you come to the UK?

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU 's single market.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok the thing is we are not there yet! Do we have enough time with only 6 weeks to go before the end of the year to establish residency?

Yes, sure you do. You can come to the UK and will be given the right of admission.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
basically, if I start renting a flat right away, say by Dec 1st, that is enough to show that we intend to take up residency? And then even if it takes up to 12 weeks to get an answer, as long as we put the application for residency in, it should be sufficient.

If you have a tenancy agreement in place, apply for N.I and even if are a job seeker and can find employment or have a job offer in place - have evidence of bills, Council tax Reg and so. The more the better will allow you to apply under the EU Scheme and qualify for Pre-settled status in the UK for 5 years.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you very much. I have one more question.

Kindly go ahead

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I read about the possibility to get via the Family Members visa....My daughter is an EEA member from Iceland as are we her parents. So would she be able to invite us via this application. She is not a full citizen yet, but has IL status, I think it is called.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
She is totally financially stable with her own business so would be able to in fact hire us or otherwise support us.

If you are from the EU and hold a passport or ID you can apply in your own right or she can apply for you as a direct EU Family member. That said, you will only qualify for Pre-settled status granted for 5 years.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
that is fine. So either way would work. It is just a matter of getting there before the end of the year. But I am wondering if it would be easier for her to apply for us at the end of the day? That way we wouldn´t need to rush down there and start flat hunting in the middle of the pandemic?

It would be better for you to come as opposed of her applying given that you have a passport or ID card. The worst case situation will be you come and will be required to self isolate for 14 days. Your daughter can still meet you at the airport

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
One more question. My husband would stay on in Iceland to work. If I got residency and eventually pre-settled status, would I eventually be able to have him come and join me?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He still have 3 years to go at his job before he can retire at 67 or 2 years to go before age 65, to retire early. If it wasn't for Brexit, we would wait until then, but with deadline looming, we have no choice but to start the process right away as far as I can see.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am hoping that we can "get our foot in the door" for now - be able to come and go if needs be, and then settle permanently in either 1 or 3 years from now.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Once you get pre-settled status, you can come on go freely, isn't that correct?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sorry- that should be 4 years to go until he reaches age 67.

Yes that is correct

Lawyer21 and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 21 days ago. in your opinion, it looks pretty straight forward
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
just waiting for your call. No rush!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
In the meantime please take a look at this info : If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years
You should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for pre-settled status. You only need to prove you’ve lived in the UK for 1 day in the last 6 months to get it.You can apply for pre-settled status as long as you move to the UK before 31 December 2020.If you get pre-settled status, you can live and work in the UK for up to 5 years. After you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years, you should apply for settled status to stay for longer.You can spend up to 2 years outside the UK without losing your pre-settled status. But, if you want to apply for settled status later, you need to:have lived in the UK for 5 years in a row
prove that you lived in the UK for 6 months out of every 12 months during those 5 years
The 5 years can include time before you got pre-settled status.

Do you have a alternative number? It is not connecting

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
jo I don't!
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
that is strange, it should work
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
How about via Google hangouts or Zoom?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
even if you have Skype, it can connect you to Zoom with this number
I was just speaking with a friend in the UK earlier today in this way
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
what shall we do?

There is a issue with the JA phone system. I will try again later. Thank you

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** fine as well.


EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre by telephone: Inside the UK 0300(###) ###-####/strong> Outside the UK + 44 (0) 20 3080 0010 Find out about call charges.

Thank you