LawyerAk
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
109603637

I understand that outside a workplace harrasement is not a

I understand that outside a workplace sexual harrasement is not a criminal offence that could lead to jail time? however at a workplace sexual harrasement could lead to criminal charges and jail time? Am i correct on both assumptions?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
By sexual harrasement i do not mean sexual assault

Good afternoon, yes harassment in a work place can be a criminal offence and if it’s outside of the workplace then the circumstances would be different.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
outside work would be different as it would not be a criminal offence and would not be able to lead to jail time either?

Harassment outside work there would need to be sufficient evidence in order for it to raise a case as a criminal offence.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What evidence do you mean?

As in witnesses etc.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is it a criminal offence then outside work too?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Which law says that it is a criminal offence outside work?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Here in third paragraph it says there is not any lae https://www.exeter.ac.uk/sexual-misconduct/whatissexualharassment/
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There is no criminal offence in english law it says

Sexual harassment outside of the workplace should be reported directly to the police. You can be charged under discrimination and sexual harassment.

This would not be directly linked to harassment in the workplace under employment equality sex discrimination regulation 2005.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do not understand why that website says that there is no criminal offence of sexual harrassment in english law

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok so i guess you mean that article talks about sexual harrassment outside the workplace only

Yes.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do not understand then why you mentioned that one could be charged under sexual harrassment outside workplace, even though that URL says that there is no criminal offence in english law for sexual harrassment outside work

If there is a case involving employees outside of the workplace then there could be a criminal factor.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I got it now

It was a pleasure assisting you today.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
But if there are no employees from the same workplace then it could be criminal offence
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it could not be
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Isnt?

Yes that’s correct

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
By workplace you mean a company employees only or also the employees if the customers of the company?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
of the
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Employees Of the customer company

Company employees

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 17 days ago.

Take care

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
if i am an ex employee of a company and i sexually harass some employee of that company, it would not be a criminal offence, isnt?

Yes that’s correct.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if i sexually harras a woman without being aware that woman belonged to the same workplace than me, would it be a criminal offence?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it occurs outside working hours

They can argue on the factor that you were part of the same employment.