How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1184
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I’d like to know if I can live in the eu but work in the uk

Customer Question

I’d like to know if I can live in the eu but work in the uk post brexit? (I’m an EU National)
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: no documents filled, Portuguese national
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What I meant was I’m working remotely in Portugal and will continue in the future but for a UK company.. I have settled status and am worried that I’ll lose it for not being physically in the UK. What are my options? Can I ask the company to treat me as an offshore employee? What are the implications for them?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 13 days ago.

Good evening, with settled status you are allowed to be outside the U.K. for up 2 years and not longer than this as you can lose your settled status.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I know and I will lose the right to work in the uk.. can I continue to work for my company as an offshore employee?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 13 days ago.

If you work as an offshore employer a work permit would be required if you are planning to stay outside the U.K. exceeding the 2 years.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
A work permit for the UK? Or the country where you’re based?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 13 days ago.

A work permit for the U.K. as it’s a U.K. company you are working for.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 13 days ago.

It was a pleasure assisting you today. Take care