How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tamari SL Your Own Question
Tamari SL
Tamari SL, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 913
Experience:  LLB UK (Hons) with International Law, Foundation in the UK Law, OISC
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Tamari SL is online now

I’m thinking about registering my son as a British citizen

Customer Question

Hello! I’m thinking about registering my son as a British citizen using form MN1, he was born in the Uk in 2009 but I wasn’t settled at the time. I have applied to the settled status in 2019 for me and him and unhas been granted.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I’m Portuguese and I filled the form online, submitted all the relevant documentation on the government website and my settled status was confirmed (I received an email confirm it), and I have been living in the UK since 2008.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, I have not. I read the MN1 guidance form extensively and I can fill it out myself, I just want a reassurance/confirmation of which documents to submit with the form.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that’s all thank you.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 13 days ago.

Good morning, I am an immigration lawyer in the UK and I will be assisting with your question today.

As your son was born in the UK and you since obtained settled status he may apply to be registered as a British Citizen. I assume he also lived in the country for 10 years already, he is eligible in this way too.

Just one thing to remember, these types of applications are discretional and every case is considered in their own merits. You have to show the Home Office that his future clearly lies in the UK and obviously, he must meet all other requirements.

Expert:  Tamari SL replied 13 days ago.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello Tamari, and how exactly do I show the Home office that his future clearly lies in the UK? My initial enquiry was about the type of documentation that I need to submit with the application in order to support it? On the guidance form it only states that I need to send his full birth certificate and passport if has one, it makes no mention of any further documents.
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 13 days ago.

If he has been living in the Uk since his birth and you think that he will continue living in the UK, you need to state this in the application form or supporting letter.

With regards ***** ***** you may submit, his Red Book, Schools letters, GP registration, or any relevant correspondence to the address he lives which has his name on it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for assistance, I’m gathering all the documents and if I need further assistance from you I will contact you.
Expert:  Tamari SL replied 13 days ago.

Sure, thank you.