How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2500
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I am a British Citizen who has been living in UK for

Customer Question

Hi there,I am a British Citizen who has been living in UK for 17years. I am professionally an IT manager and have my own house.
My parents live in Karachi Pakistan. We are a family of 5 siblings 3 sisters all married and settled in their own houses and a younger brother who resides with my parents. I have been supporting my parents financially for all 17 years until now. My brother is due to get married and move out of the country this year. He has taken care of them since I left but now it is time for him to move on with his new married life. It is time for me to take the flag and do my best to take care of my parents.
My parents will be alone after he moves out and will have no one to take care/look after them. I want to know if there is a way they can come and join me in the UK so that me and my wife can lookafter them for the rest of their lives.
Please advise in detail.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Hi there,

Theoretically, the only adult that is eligible to join you in the UK is your partner or spouse.

There is an exception for parents who cannot care for themselves they may be able to apply to come to the UK on a Dependent Visa. However, this isn't a straightforward option, and they will be required to prove that they cannot look after themselves in order for them to be able to come to the UK to live with and be cared for by you.

So, the option for a Dependent Visa is only available if your parents are unable to care for themselves in their home country. In order to qualify, they will need to be extensive proof offered that shows that they cannot live day-to-day without a high level of personal care. This proof will likely take the form of medical notes/medical reports and other proof which shows their dependency on you for day to day tasks.

Then you need to further demonstrate that there is no-one in the home country of your parents to look after them and you can not move back nor any carer can be arranged for your parents in their home country for assisting them with their daily chores.

As explained above, dependent visa for parent is not straight forward and can be very challenging to get.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for being realistic. It seems like then visit visa sounds more practical. Can you advise on visit visa
Expert:  Vineet S replied 11 days ago.

Yes, you can ask new question regarding the visit visa here-

Thank you.