LawyerAk
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
109603637

I have an enquiry for legal aid with regard to failed police

Customer Question

Hello, I have an enquiry for legal aid with regard to failed police registration
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have kept in contact with OVRO via email, while only receiving vague replies in regard of its potential penalties. I have booked an appointment already at 28th May.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The following is my full enquiry: Hi there, I am a student cunrrently at my second year of batchelor degree, studying in KCL. and I have just found in March this year, that I forgot to register with London OVRO when I was meant to do in-between 19th to 26th September 2019, when I got my new BRP from university. I arrived at KCL two days later than most of others and therefore missed the chance to register with police in campus and I foolishly forgot to register with police independently afterwards. My last registration with Police, was with WEST MERCIA POLICE in 2017 during high school with my old BRP, which has been replaced since the said date.I absolutely understand that it was purely my fault, and there were no excuses for this foolish mistake to occur. I have kept attempting in contact with OVRO in the previous months via email (with only one got replied) and have booked a registration appointment in May. In these emails, I apologise for my mistake and beg for forgiveness and taking into consideration that I had not had any experience of handling this affair independently, and my last (and only) registration was done led by my housemaster in high school, who I owe much thanks. However, when I asked about what sort of penalties OVRO normally grants on my case. The only police officer who replied to me tuned to be vague and said that he cannot decide without sight of all my documents and discussing with me personally. I have read from the website that up to 5000 pounds or even imprisonment is possible, which really scares me. I am currently under huge stress and would like to know how this sort of uni students\' late registration was normally considered and processed if there were any previous examples of university students failed to register with police on time
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi there, I am a student cunrrently at my second year of batchelor degree, studying in KCL. and I have just found in March this year, that I forgot to register with London OVRO when I was meant to do in-between 19th to 26th September 2019, when I got my new BRP from university. I arrived at KCL two days later than most of others and therefore missed the chance to register with police in campus and I foolishly forgot to register with police independently afterwards. My last registration with Police, was with WEST MERCIA POLICE in 2017 during high school with my old BRP, which has been replaced since the said date.I absolutely understand that it was purely my fault, and there were no excuses for this foolish mistake to occur. I have kept attempting in contact with OVRO in the previous months via email (with only one got replied) and have booked a registration appointment in May. In these emails, I apologise for my mistake and beg for forgiveness and taking into consideration that I had not had any experience of handling this affair independently, and my last (and only) registration was done led by my housemaster in high school, who I owe much thanks. However, when I asked about what sort of penalties OVRO normally grants on my case. The only police officer who replied to me tuned to be vague and said that he cannot decide without sight of all my documents and discussing with me personally. I have read from the website that up to 5000 pounds or even imprisonment is possible, which really scares me. I am currently under huge stress and would like to know how this sort of uni students\' late registration was normally considered and processed if there were any previous examples of university students failed to register with police on time
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Would you summarising your question please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Basically, I should have registered with police in September 2019, which I foolishly forgot. I only realised in Feburary this year that I have never registered with police since I received my new BRP, since when I kept attempting to contact with OVRO via Email, but received few replies.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Sorry, why do you need to register?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have received my new BRP card from uni since I renew my visa.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am not available to make phone call right now, sorry.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

oh ok, is this a visa issue?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

If this is a visa issue then that isn't my area so I will opt out for others.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find continuing a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 10 days ago.

Good morning, the good thing you have now booked an appointment you would be questioned for the delay in registering the police can decide to fine you £5000, deportation or ban from U.K from 10 years. It’s at the police discretion to decide.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 10 days ago.

Was there any specific reason you did not register?