LawyerAk
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
109603637

Can I have a job in the Netherlands but live in the UK? I

Customer Question

Can I have a job in the Netherlands but live in the UK?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have an address in the Netherlands but will be moving back to the UK. I have asked my employer but waiting to hear back. I also have a residence permit for the Netherlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to my employer about whether it will be possible for me to remain employed there and see out my contract but reside in the UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

Good evening, are you planning to work for the same employer as U.K. and what’s your current status in U.K.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am unsure what you mean by work for the same employer as U.K? I am a U.K. citizen as was born here. I have a residence permit in the Netherlands and an address but I will be living in the U.K with my partner who is relocating for work but I am hoping to still keep my job in the Netherlands until the contract ends in July 2022 as I can do this remotely as a researcher.
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

I was asking whether the employer in Netherlands was different to the U.K. one. You would be able to work in Netherlands and live in U.K.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for your response- the employer is a University in the Netherlands but I will be living in the UK. Are you able to advise on anything I need to consider e.g. if I have an address in the Netherlands do I pay tax there or if I am full time resident in the UK do I need to pay tax in the UK?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also is there anything else I need to consider by working in the Netherlands but living in the UK? Are you able to advise on the legalities of why it is allowed that I can work in the Netherlands and live in the UK? Is there an agreement even post Brexit?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

In regards ***** ***** if you are working in Netherlands  you would have to pay taxes in Netherlands. Also taxes in U.K. would need to be paid.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I am not getting an income from the UK what taxes would I pay? Would I pay taxes in the Netherlands if I am not a resident there however?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

Your not resident there but working for a company in the  Netherlands. You would not pay tax in U.K. if you are not receiving income from work.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

In regards ***** ***** withdrawal agreement is does not take place until 29 March 2022 therefore you are still able to work in Europe.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

As a U.K. resident.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for your response- so please can you confirm that I would pay taxes to the Netherlands but not UK as not receiving an income from work here? Even if my permanent residence is not in the Netherlands but in the UK?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there anything else that I need to be aware of by receiving an income from the Netherlands but living in the UK?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have a dutch residence permit so assume after 29th March 2022 I would still be entitled to work in the Netherlands despite the withdrawal agreement.
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You would not be exempt from council tax but if you are not working in U.K. then you would not pay tax however taxes would need to be in Netherlands.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You have a Dutch permit therefore the withdrawal agreement should not affect you.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You mentioned your spouse what visa is she on.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do I need to have a Dutch address to continue to receive an income from the Netherlands
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am not sure what visa he will be on but he is a Greek national and will be taking a position as a professor at a University in the UK
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

Ok if he is not your dependent then it would not be a problem to work abroad as the income to meet financial requirement would be required from U.K.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You would require a Dutch address when receiving income.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Where do I stand with having an address in the UK and the Netherlands
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please can you clarify " as the income to meet financial requirement would be required from U.K." I am not sure what is meant here?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

As a U.K. citizen you have no visa restrictions therefore can also have an address in the Netherlands. If partner is your dependent on spouse visa employment must be from U.K. to meet the £18,600 financial requirement.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No partner is not dependant on spouse visa they will be earning £77,000
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there any other considerations I need to be aware of in terms of living in the UK but receiving an income from the Netherlands? Would there be any issues for the employer?
Can I go about daily life as normal e.g. receive post in the UK and use my debit cards etc.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also access NHS healthcare etc.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I assume I need to pay Dutch healthcare insurance also while receiving an income there?
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You would not lose rights a U.K. citizen such as NHS health care and other benefits.

Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You said you hold a residence permit therefore this should entitle you to healthcare there.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks again for your swift response and am I able to make payments using UK debit cards in the UK as normal and receive my Dutch wage into my Dutch bank account? Is there any issue with spending money in the UK but not receiving an income into that account? Can I still receive post to my UK address etc.
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 12 days ago.

You will be able to receive your income in your bank account and can still post to U.K. address. Please note nothing will change as to your rights a British citizenship.