james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am a UK citizen looking to emigrate to the USA just

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a UK citizen looking to emigrate to the USA just wondering where to start
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have not done anything yet like near london
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do not know, but non of us have any criminal recorld
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Firstly how long is this chat for £5
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, are you calling me
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate working between the U.K. and the USA and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Or I have not had any problems
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Lets have text chat to start with
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can pay more when we progress further
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would like to undertand how as a UK citizen i can emergrate to UK
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am a self employed software developer, with 2 children one at uni and the other over the age of 18
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are you their?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello? Are you their?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Have you gone????????

The first thing to decide is how you wish to move to the USA.

Options can include, finding employment in the USA with the employer becoming the sponsor, becoming an investor, opening your own business or buying an existing business, enrolling as a student on a course, finding a wife etc.

These are the main routes ex pats will use when moving to the USA. They all have there good and bad points. Some lead to green card status and in turn citizenship others do not.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will have text chat for now please
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
HELLO
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What is going on.... please talk to me

There are delays on this site it is not live 121 chat but messages sent via email, there will be slight delays in replies.

As explained there are a number of ways into the USA I have listed the common options ypu would need to decide how you wish to go to the USA.

Do you have a job offer if the USA, or do you have funds to invest in the USA?

One of the most popular ways to come is the E2 visa option. This is where the person either establishes their own company or buys an existing business.

The investment must be substantial, and would be dependant of the type of business.There is no set figure for what is substantial. What is needed for one type of business is not necessary for another. If you establish you own business you will need business plans, forecasts etc for several years. The I come being generated must be more than marginal meaning more that to simple survive on in the USs.

Most expats tend to buy an existing business so as to gain a visa to move to the USA. Again this is normally the E2 but instead of starting from scratch, they buy any business for sale, favourites are normally pool companies, gardening, property management etc. The down side to an E2 visa is it requires renewing every 5 years and does not allow permanent residency ie green card.

If you find an employer willing to take you on, then they can sponsor  you and that can allow for a green card.

Likewise if you have a large sum to invest you can apply for an EB5 visa, however changes last year basically doubled the amount required. Again it gives a green card. The a,out now however is around 1 million dollars.

Student visas can allow you entry but you need to attend a college or uni. So really you would need to think hard about what you want and what you can afford.

Can I assist further at this time.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The other thing to concisely as well apart from my company is my daughter has applied to uni in America, i understand if she does mt wife and i can support her as she is 19
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My question is. I have a company called XWEB4U LIMITED. I employ some Pakistani employees on a freelance basis. Could i move my company to USA? Would i have to invest a lot more money?Current turnover is not a lot about 130,000 GBP a year

You could look at moving or rather establishing a US office for the business. You would need to create a business entity in the USA and the same principles would apply. Turnover is not great, but that is not the important issue. Form a low turnover of £130,000 that would be approx $175000 dollars so looks better, but it is what profits and income is taken. If it is less than marginal (only just sustains you ) then likely to fail as a visa option.

You would still need to apply for a business investment visa.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I currently pay out 3000 a month in wages to Pakistan. I could re direct that to USA plus part of my technology is locker based and one of my clients is talking about me extending sales of this technology in USA
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i could put a case to increased revenue based on that alone
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Which would employ others. I could sell my home in UK. Equity after left after mortgage is 180,000 GBP which we could use to invest and rent while we make a new USA start

Sorry I cannot advice on the investments and revenue law for the USA that is a separate matter.

As for the E2. Visa you still need ties to the U.K. ie property, the E2 is only a tempory visa not a permanent one.

If you want a green card an permanent residence ypu will need to look at other options. As stated the EB5 is such. Way, but the amount is very high and within a time frame you must employ 10 people.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Firstly. If my daughter goes to America and gives to UNI, can we go with her and run my company which is a UK LIMITED company. 2nd if we did that that gives us 18-21 (2 ish years), and my wife could also enroll later (which she wants to do) which could give us another 3 years correct. In that time while we are their could we look for work/ expand our buisness with possibility of getting a green card?

The USCIS would have serious doubts about your reasons for being on the USA. What you suggest here could be seen as an abuse of the system and entry refused. An E2 visa is a temp visa with no intent to stay permanently.
Unless you have a visa allowing you to work you cannot run your U.K. business from the USA.

If your daughter obtains her F1 student visa, as parents you would only be able to attend as well for a maximum of 6 months and only then if you can obtain a B2 visa.

As you are looking at so many options, you would be advised to instruct a private US immigration attorney to help you find the best way how you can fulfil  your  requirements, both business wise, immigration wise, and student wise for your daughter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok, i am getting a little confused here. I assume I should ignore my daughter journey and leave her to go to UNI which she is doing in USA (pending acceptance). I should separately focus on my self and my wife. What visa can I apply for so that my wife and i can run our company in the USA? And what are the basic requirements that i need to satisfy? We are happy to start with a temp visa, then try stage 2 to get a green card

That is the best thing to do. Treat them as sewerage matters.

The easiest is certainly the temp E2 visa. If granted would be for 5 years. I cannot help with obtaining this, you would need to instruct a US I’m,I ration lawyer to do that .

As explained, the business investment would need to be substantial and more than marginal. There must be the intent to leave the USA after the business is established. If you inform immigration you will want to stay and apply for a green card then you are likely to be refused the E2 visa.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
With a E2, can try and apply for a green card while I am their, after i have got the E2. Also if i get E2 and i am their, is the chance of me getting a green card higher than if I was in the UK

E2 does not allow for a green card at all, but you may find another opportunity whist there to change status and apply for a green card.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.